CANAPI is a proposed Application Programming Interface API for sharing knowledge about fighting cancer
cancer research journal

Cancer Research Journal Article

Cuba Approves CimaVax EGF Vaccine for Lung Cancer

has approved , the first in the world to be approved for the treatment of .

Cuban scientists held a news conference earlier this week at the Center of Molecular Immunology in Havana to announce the availability of the new vaccine. They reported that had shown CimaVax EGF increased lung an average of 4 to 5 months and it produced fewer side effects than standard therapies because the vaccine only targets malignant cells.

Several private companies have already been licensed to market the treatment, which will be produced in Cuba.

Cuban health officials said patients from outside the island nation are welcome to travel Cuba for treatment, but American patients may be unable to take advantage of the offer because of put in place by the US in the 1960s. As one Havana scientist said,

“Even though there is a new therapeutic tool approved in Cuba they (US citizens) probably wouldn’t be able to come to Cuba to receive it because of the embargo.”

Tania Crombet, MD
Director of Clinical Investigations
Molecular Immunology Center (Havana)

lung cancer claims more than 1.3 million lives worldwide each year, with more than 160,000 of those deaths occurring in the U.S.

The vaccine has been approved for in the United States and other countries, but approval by the — if it comes — is not expected for several years. is also expected to make CimaVax EGF publicly available to patients later this year.

If you’d like to learn more about treatments currently available to , you can .

Source:

Related Links: ;

Technorati Tags: ; ;

Print This Print This   |     |

15 Comments »

1. Comment by Vinh Le — June 26, 2008 @ 7:44 pm

Hi,

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and want to buy this drug. Can you inform me how to buy it.

Thank you very much.

Vinh Le

2. Comment by ilir tabaku — June 27, 2008 @ 7:16 am

dear sir/s,
    can someone explain us, how people from other countries could buy this vacin. please could you tell me the name of the company that has the licece to sell it. please help me,, i live in Albania..

3. Comment by Kevin Felix — June 27, 2008 @ 9:15 pm

I have done extensive website research for my gf who’s father has cancer in Brazil and for the Vinh Le in Canada I can tell you that YM Bioscience has the permit currently for North America and if you check their website at http://www.ymbiosciences.com/main.cfm?docID=22 you will see they have a strategic partnership with the Centre of Molecular Immunology (University of Havana, Cuba). CancerVAC had the permit for North America but went bankrupt so now YMBio now has it. They also have a a license agreement for their products with University of Manitoba (Canada) so you may contact them and be able to get more/better info. The latest according to the Doctor who developed it says a price has not been set (even though licenses have been issued to companies) but that foreigners are welcome to come to Cuba for treatment if financially possible course. Aslo from another story that “YM BioSciences of Canada may handle distribution in North America and Europe.” Latest I have found is that Peru is next to possibly gain approval and that may not be until the end of the year. Hope this helps any at all.

4. Comment by Sudarshan R. Chetlur — July 1, 2008 @ 8:41 am

Dear Sir,
    One of my very close relations is suffering from Lung Cancer. The doctors say that he is in advance stage. He lives in Calicut (in Kerala, India). He is undergoing Chemo and was first given Gemcitabine (Gemcite) and is now on Doceterust. Please advise How can avail CIMAVAX in India. We would be greatful for all the information and help you provide.

Very anxiuosly waiting for a response from your side and thanking you from the heart…

Sudarshan R. Chetlur

5. Comment by Lisa — July 3, 2008 @ 10:53 am

Thank you to Kevin for sharing his research with our readers. The vaccine is not currently FDA approved for marketing here in the United States so I cannot offer any assistance on where to purchase/obtain it other than the information already provided in the article. As of today, the only country who is offering the drug outside of clinical trials is Cuba. Peru is predicted to approve it next, but that has yet to be finalized. We wish you all the best and invite anybody else with information on this topic to join in the discussion. Thank you and take care.

6. Comment by art uy — July 9, 2008 @ 6:57 am

I would like to know how to purchase your cimavax. Surely appreciate it. Thanks

7. Comment by CARLOS EDUARDO MARTINS — August 2, 2008 @ 10:27 pm

POR FAVOR, COMO FAZEMOS PARA ADQUIRIR ESTE MEDICAMENTO AQUI NO BRASIL?ESPERO RESPOSTA URGENTE.

GRATO,

CARLOS EDUARDO MARTINS

8. Comment by Tono Prieto — August 12, 2008 @ 4:34 pm

For all of you interested this is the website of the Institution that developed the vaccine Cimavax, http://www.cim.sld.cu/ its in spanish but you can send a email to: cimab@cim.sld.cu . Good luck. Im not sure if they can sell it with out each country registration procedure.

9. Comment by Dr.Carlos Ariel López — August 12, 2008 @ 7:52 pm

I am a Doctor.I have a female patient with this desease,small cells.I need to contact with us to get the cimavax-egf.The patient is living in Bogotá ,she is in treatment with quimioterapy.
    Thanks for your information.

10. Comment by christian st-jules — August 16, 2008 @ 11:54 am

i live in montreal, quebec,canada
    my father is receiving quimioterapy, because he can’t have surgery
    how can he get this treatment

11. Comment by LILY — September 22, 2008 @ 1:31 am

I live in Arnmenia, how can I get the vaccine????

12. Comment by Ana georgiana — October 24, 2008 @ 5:34 am

How can we get this vaccine? I live in romania and I need it for my mother.

13. Comment by Mervin Hwa — December 1, 2008 @ 9:16 am

Hi,
    I am a doctor in Malaysia. I have a godsister whom has recently been diagnosed of adenocarcinoma of lung. She is currently undergoing her first course of chemotherapy.
    How do I acquire this vaccine? Is there any criteria eg.stage of illness before a patient can be vaccinated?

Thanks

14. Comment by Marcos — March 21, 2009 @ 3:02 pm

Hello,

I´m from Panama, Central America. I would like to know where can i buy this drug. The article mentioned that there are several private companies have already been licensed to market the treatment, how can I get in touch with them.

15. Comment by Jack Brinie — August 18, 2009 @ 11:32 am

This product hasn’t been validated in a first world country and the efficacy claims cannot be verified.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI